Avain's Unnecessarily Long Wastelander Application

Go down

Avain's Unnecessarily Long Wastelander Application

Post by avain on Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:46 pm

[Steam Username]: Avain
[Steam ID]: STEAM_0:1:26981576
-Species/Human or Robotic: Human.
-Character Advantages/Talents: Trapping/hunting, wilderness survival, and some natural medicine.
-Character Disadvantages/Weaknesses: Vindictive, impulsive, and suspicious of strangers.

-Faction: Settler[Standard wasteland Resident]

-Current Equipment: Trail carbine .44, 24 bullets of .44, combat knife, alligator hide duster, river rat messenger bag, and an old gambler hat.
Spoiler:
Deck of cards, incomplete tarot deck, mess kit, miscellanious thread spools, ~10ft of rope, sharpening stone, scratchy goggles, ragged cloth scarf, duct tape, incomplete pre-war book, two notebooks.

-Backstory:

Growing up in Baton Rouge without a mother, as the daughter of a local trapper, the community that Jacqueline lived in had minimal expectations for her. It was no surprise to them when she left the way she did.

Her father, Alphonse Malvot, expected her to follow in his footsteps. A simple job of trapping small game and shooting large game, selling chitinous Swamplurk shells, mutated alligator hides, and rough river rat pelts. By the end of her childhood, she had learned to fire a lever gun, arm a snap trap, and dispatch caught game, and she even taught herself a bit of tailoring, but not to read or write. Between checking her snares or selling a bundle of fur, she would stare at the books and flip through the pages of a slim novel she'd found in an old and forgotten shack in the swamps.

Now at sixteen years old, her father had given her the job of taking and selling their goods in town, as well was buying provisions from the stores. Her father had always sold to Baton Caravans, a small trading company in town, because her father was friends with the owner, and so they had always traded their wares for a fair price. This didn't stop her from haggling with them. Her father had previously been harassed by other trading companies, all of which he refused to sell furs to, but he didn't worry about sending her alone into town. She had been armed with her rifle and knife at all times ever since twelve, and that comforted him, yet she only ever used them on animals.

At seventeen years old, she made a friend in town, who found her reading the same book she always read. The man was an associate of LaBeouf Trading Company, a prominent caravan company based in Baton Rouge. After explaining that she hadn't learned to read yet, he offered to teach her for free. Happy to accept, and oblivious to his intentions, she agreed to meet him every time she stopped in town, and, before she was eighteen years old, she had learned how to read, and had finally read the first three-fourths of the adventure novel. The last part of the book had been damaged, and the pages that were still attached were illegible.

Jacqueline and her father had continued selling furs and shells as usual, all of them to Baton Caravans, a smaller caravan company in the town. Peter from LaBeouf Trading told her that he'd keep an eye out for the complete book, and they still occasionally met to talk. Jacqueline's father had gotten a letter from a rival company in town, unnamed in the text, that threatened to murder him if he did not rethink his partnerships. Nearly everyone knew her father couldn't read, and Jacqueline read the letter to him. He took the letter and threw it into the swamp, laughing. Recently, a Baton Caravans expedition had been followed by a dispatch from LaBeouf trading, and a fight broke out. It was never clear who shot first, but LaBeouf insisted that Baton Caravans were the aggressors.

Jacqueline knew the story was unsound, and decided against meeting Peter anymore, and when she had gotten more dirty looks in town than usual, and she decided to only take the fastest route to Baton Caravans and back. After a few days, she had recieved a letter from Peter, that explained that he had found a complete copy of her book, and invited her to meet him at their usual place, a forgotten pre-war building in the undeveloped portion of town. Jacqueline read the letter many times, and while lying down back at her house, she decided to compare handwriting between the letters. The match was undeniable. She finally decided that she'd take her lever gun, her father's revolver, and her knife, and leave to meet Peter for what may be her last time.

She walked to the building, rifle slung and pistol holstered, and entered to see Peter, arms wide and wide smile on his face. Knowing what was going on, she looked behind her to see another man, one she's never seen before, following her into the building. Looking back to Peter, she saw the smile had left his face, and noticed a tear had left hers. She drew her pistol, firing at Peter three times as his eyes lit up in surprise, and then pain. She was tackled by the other man from behind, and she soon learned that he had a knife, judging by the sharp pain in her arm. She was disarmed, revolver leaving her grip, and before long, Jacqueline was exhausted yet still fighting, unable to take her own knife and unable to take his. A louder shot rang out, and the man fell limp over her, and she looked to the doorway to see her father with his rifle, standing with stock in arm.

Alphonse treated her wounds as best he could before picking up the revolver and holstering it, telling her to head to Baton Trading, and telling her to tell the head of the company that she'd be their new Caravan Attendant and Swamp Guide. He told her to stay wherever the caravan takes her, and not come back. When she asked how he knew that she'd be here, he explained, saying that he was trying to catch up to her to ask why she stole his "damn snub gun." They both laughed, and she cried, saying goodbye to her father before running to Baton Trading. The owner was distraught when she told him what happened, and apologized about the ordeal. That evening, one of the caravan leaders, a self-described 'witch doctor', helped heal her arm, and she was headed west with the next expedition.

Her father had warned her of witch doctors all the time, growing up, saying "they're bad news, no doubt about it," regardless of what they've done to prompt this. Having lived in Baton Rouge, she knew that in the little-remaining Creole community, there was still a sliver of voodoo practitioners. She thought that it was more about tradition, and less about the magic for them. Along the trail to Texas, she became a wary friend of the witch doctor, letting him ramble to her about his life and what it was he did for a living. She learned that while much of his trade was superstition, there was value in the ways he prepared herbs to heal the sick. She asked for him to teach her, and he showed her simple preperations, mostly with supplies found in the deserts of Texas. Guillaume, the witch doctor, had tended to her wound every night to see it healed. In a few days, her wound was nearly fully healed, but it was obvious that there would be a scar.

When the caravan began it's return journey in Austin, Texas, Jacqueline parted ways with the caravan, and before saying her goodbyes to the witchdoctor, he wrote her a letter of reccommendation for a different trading company in town, Gab G. Caravans. The owner, Gab, was happy to accept her as an attendant, and said he would pay her in food, and she was allowed to keep clothing, weapons, and other possessions on anyone she shoots during the expeditions. Not understanding, she asked if it was common to have to kill people during the trips, and he explained that super mutants and tribals were very common throughout Texas, so it was neccessary at times to kill.

Her first journeys with Gab G. Caravans were simple, short, and mostly undisturbed. She spoke a lot to Jackson Cox, the leader and guide of the caravan. He'd often show her a trick to desert survival, including traps to catch smaller, desert game, and how to manage water intake and dehydration. They became friends, and by the time she was twenty three, she had spent four years in the deserts of Texas, and Jackson had taught her all she knew, as if she was taken under apprenticeship without having to ask or be asked for such a thing. She had been in a few ambushes, strange situations, and scuffles with the wildlife. She even taught Cox how to prepare a poultice made of the leaves of a creosote bush that helped heal his scorpion sting (a favorite of the witch doctor), after they ended up passing by a scorpion burrow.

On her last journy with the caravan, Cox died during a tribal ambush, a tomahawk thrown to his skull. Since the caravan was left without a leader, and without a guide, they looked to Jacqueline to navigate and lead the caravan home. Though nervous and in shock from her loss of another great friend, Jacqueline took hold of the expedition, burying Cox where he fell, and leading the caravan approximately one hundred miles back to Austin, Texas. Gab was nearly in tears when he learned that Cox had died, and after a few days of mourning, Jacqueline explained that she could take over for Cox. Gab said the losses from the last expedition were too great, and that he'd have to disband her caravan anyways. After asking what she would do for a job, Gab shrugged, and gave a sardonic suggestion to "travel the world," before closing his door. It felt as though he blamed her for Cox's death.

She was 'just a trapper from Louisiana, displaced and now homeless,' she thought. She spit venom at Gab in her own mind, thinking of terrible things to say to him. She was just as good of a friend of Cox as he, who was he to blame her for his death? Pondering what had happened, and more extensively, her life in Austin, and then her entire life, she realized that she wasn't only a trapper from Louisiana, but also someone who's seen numerous battles, healed the wounded, traveled all over the desert, fought the occasional mutant alligator, led a caravan one hundred miles to safety, and survived traitorous friends. 'Not in that order,' she mused. She spit venom at Gab again, and then went to figure out a route to the eastern coast. She drew a line back through Louisiana, avoiding Baton Rouge and moving through New Orleans and meeting with a sister of Baton Caravans, Gentilly Trading, which kept her around for an expedition heading along the coast, towards Maryland. Kept going through Alabama, Atlanta in the Georgian territories, and across South and North Carolina, eventually landing in Maryland. Jacqueline had found a friend in the caravan, named Douglas Biggs. He didn't follow the caravan back to New Orleans, staying in Maryland with Jacqueline.

edit: added more information about the ending travel, including a friend who will be applying along with me.

Last edited by avain on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:25 am; edited 2 times in total
avain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Avain's Unnecessarily Long Wastelander Application

Post by  on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:16 pm

-snip-

Last edited by a on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avain on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:22 pm

TheMightyDRGN wrote:Read through the entirety of the backstory. It was pretty enthralling despite a few slip-ups on the grammar here and there, although it compliments the rest of the application.

That aside. This application checks out, although there's no statement on what other supplies you may have on you at the start, or if you have any ammunition for the firearm (with .44 naturally being more scarce). I'll leave this open for a comment about that, but this is accepted.
Definitely noticing a few of grammar screwups. I've been defeated by the length of my own backstory, I guess I couldn't effectively proof-read it all.

As for the ammunition, I didn't know if I should include any specific ammunition count on it, but I'd probably go in with only a couple of the carbine's tube worth of ammunition, nothing else (~16-24 bullets). As for other supplies, I probably would have gone onto a list of specifics, but I assumed that equipment meant clothing, weapons, maybe storage, and nothing more.

Regardless, thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

edit: I'll add a list of other misc. things I'd want to use IC, spoilered under equipment
avain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avain on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:33 am

Added less-important gear to equipment under the spoiler.
I have no objections to removing any of these items if an admins sees fit, these are just random items I imagine I'd come to use for passive or as clothing items.
avain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nazz on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:42 am

I've known Avain for a little bit now, and I'd be A-OK with giving out what he's asked for. Should anything happen, then just fuck me up fam.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum